Reporting Cloud Services
Organisations biggest issue in today’s inter-connected world of best of breed applications is to get the data required for decision making into a single integrated report. Common Data Environment (CDE) relies on integrations to work.
Best of Breed Solutions
When using best of breed applications your data is not common across all applications. In order to report, analyse information for management decision making you need a common reporting platform. HPS’s Integration Cloud Services provides a simple integration solution that pulls your common data together. This supports a common reporting platform.
Common Data Environment
Once your Primavera Reporting and other common data is all in the one place you can report on it. Using whatever reporting and analytics tool your organisation is familiar with – that might be Power BI, OBIEE, Tableaux Oracle Primavera Analytics.
We will reconfigure your Oracle Primavera application in order to collect the data required for reporting. We identify what data is required, define and reconfigure your application to capture/create the data required to support reporting and decision making.
See also our Integration Cloud Service at Integration Cloud Services
“Does your Primavera P3M solution provide you with a Common Data Environment (CDE) that enables better, more informed decision making around your infrastructure portfolio?”
4 steps to a simple CDE reporting service
Our Reporting Services Process is a simple 4 step one.
- 1 – HPS Connectivity Platform for the Extraction, Load, Generate & Transform (ELGT) to grab data from across your Data Environment and consolidate it within a single database.
- 2 – Load Raw Information into the Data Lake.
- 3 – Create Report Ready Tables within the Data Warehouse
- 4 – Report Creation.
Before you can start reporting on your data you need to extract it from the source systems. We use our Integration Cloud Service to do that. The benefits of the ICS are:
- Integration Cloud Service will optimize the extraction process ignoring non-essential internal fields
- Perform joins to pull all client fields and essential internal system fields for reporting.
- Required internal system field names will be translated to make them more understandable & transformed to make them report friendly.
- In the screenshot below, we are pulling project, funding and cost information to build a simple dynamic GIS (point, line, polygon) enabled PowerBI report to show forecasts and cost variances.
Having used the Integration Cloud Service to get a hold of your data, we can now start to look at optimising that data for reporting purposes.
- Transformed consolidated data will be loaded into Data Lake tables, which will be used as the building blocks for the report tables.
- New client fields that come after the initial implementation will automatically transfer over “as is” from source system,
- The assumption is that any changes will go through proper change control prior to deploying into production.
- This change control aims at stopping the pollution of the data lake data model.
- By this we mean duplication by use of User Defined Fields sometime creates confusion for report users as there are multiple fields called the same thing with different data.
- Scheduled processes will automatically create/update report tables, which will have the data summarized per client requirements and expose required fields from source systems.
- Any new client fields that get added will be available “as-is” in the Report tables after the scheduled process.
- It is from these tables that reporting users will run their reports.
- Data used across the entire system can be included in these report ready tables without the need for SQL joins. The data tables are optimised for reporting purposes.
In order for users to create reports we need to create report ready tables in the warehouse.
The table below defines Simple, Average and Complex and the level of effort to create these tables – Very cost effective!
- Report writers will be able to create/modify reports and choose system fields that are pertinent.
- with minimal knowledge of the data model.
- since the data has been transformed and summarized.
- In most cases, all the data required for the report is contained in one report ready table, which also improves report performance.