HPS can help you assess and improve your project controls practice. Our expert methodologies and tools help accelerate and guide you from strategy to plan to deployment.
Key activities include development of a Project Controls Strategy, Conceptual Solution, and roll out Roadmap utilising HPS’s Project Controls Optimization Model. see diagram below.
What we do know is that a 30/60/90 day Agile approach to delivering Project Controls Solutions does not work in the long term. You will get something as a result of an Agile approach, but will you be able to use it – we doubt it.
Our approach is simple
- Conceptual Solution Design – based on where you are and where you want to go. what are the current business process, how well do they work, what are the new requirements from the business?
- Survey Existing Tools & Technologies – see if we can reuse, what works well at the moment, what needs changing?
- Model Optimised PPM to support existing and new requirements, processes and practices and to extend the vision from today toward your end game strategic vision.
- Build and Deploy, develop a deployment plan, Test and UAT. We recommend using a phased approach deployment plan (from where you are today until you reach the end game strategic solution), check each step of the way you are still on course.
Hyde Park Solutions have more certified and specialised primavera consultants across all the Oracle Primavera products than any other Oracle partner – we can help you?
Our Project Controls Solutions
There are a three core aspects to a good Project Controls solution. These are:
Assess & Align
Define and synchronize Project Controls with your core business, the tasks to accomplish this include:
- Define Project Controls Vision and Components
- Align Vision to Organization Goals, Objectives, Initiatives
- Assess Current Project Controls Practice
- Review Corporate IT Standards & Initiatives
- Survey Project Controls Tools & Technologies
- Identify & Prioritize Opportunities for Improvement
- Establish Success Criteria and Key Performance Indicators
Define & Design
Develop Conceptual Solution blending Improved Practice with State-of-the-Art Technologies. This is more than simple technology – it’s your people using technology to reinforce your optimized process & practices. The activities are:
- Diagram Current State Lifecycle & Processes
- Define Current State Data Models
- Identify Key Business Requirements
- Model Future State Lifecycle & Processes
- Diagram Future State Data Sourcing & Flow Models
- Build the Technical Architecture Design
- Define a Prototype & Deployment Strategy
- Document a Change Management Strategy (Organizational; Procedural; Technological)
Plan & Execute
Build actionable plan and a phased roadmap to realize your vision which will include:
- Quantify, Scope, & Prioritize Initiatives
- Assess & Select Initiatives
- Build Deployment Plan & Schedule
Benefits of a Project Controls Strategy
There are clear benefits to building a Project Controls Strategy, they are:
- Standardized Project Controls practice, governance, and tools
- Project, Program, & Portfolio decision support with current and accurate data
- Improved progressing and forecasting
- Minimized learning curve for new team members
- Seamless contractor engagement
- Efficient transition to Operations
Having trained and capable people is key to making any process work.
People are particularly important in delivering a robust Project Controls solution for your business. They need to be well trained, experienced and be free and able to promote issues in an supportive and collaborative environment.
HPS offer a full range of training courses, in plain English to support the development and education of your valuable resources.
Our trainers are all Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) qualified so are better able to impart the knowledge and develop your people’s skills inline with your training strategy for PPM.
In terms of Project Controls Technology, with Oracle you have a number of choices to make, broadly these break down as follows:
- Preferred Technology Environment
- Complexity of your Project Controls Solution
- Do your Project Controls processes follow a standard NEC3 or 4 FIDIC?
- Do you have complex cash flows, governance of approval processes?
- Are you Project Controls processes very bespoke
- Scope and Extent of Integrations
- Technology Environment of other Systems – On-premise or Cloud?
When you have decided on the answers to these you can start to work out which Oracle Primavera product would be best suited to your organisations requirements. The final determination of product will only be made after you have discussed your requirements in detail with HPS.
In general your organisations IT Strategy will have determined a preference for either On-premise or Cloud solution deployments. You have a number of options and Hyde Park Solutions can help with all of them.
On-premise means that the software will need to be installed on your laptop or PC or in your organisation’s servers. It means that you IT department, or you if you don’t have an IT department will have responsibility for managing the software – that is unless you have a support contract with Hyde Park Solutions. You will be responsible for upgrading, optimising and supporting the solution day to day.
There are a number of flavours of cloud:
- Oracle Cloud
- Your companies Cloud
- HPS Cloud
- Other Cloud
Oracle Primavera Cloud offer their software on a Software as a Service (SaaS) model. This means that you pay a monthly charge per user to Oracle for supplying, hosting, upgrading and maintaining and supporting the software just like your IT department would do if you had an on-premises solution.
Your Companies Cloud, or Other Cloud is having an outsourced hosting arrangement for other of your organisation applications. They are responsible for supplying, hosting, maintaining the software ensuring it is available. You are responsible for upgrading and supporting the software.
HPS Cloud, is a combination of the outsourced model and the Oracle SaaS model, in so far as HPS are responsible for supplying, hosting, upgrading, maintaining and supporting the environment and the software. A single point of contact for your Oracle Primavera P6 EPPM/PPM, Unifier, Primavera Cloud or Aconex solution.
In terms of Project Controls complexity there are a number of options when it comes to identifying the most appropriate Oracle Primavera solution for your organisation.
Industry Standard Process and Complexity
Oracle Primavera have a number of solutions that are designed for Construction and Engineering industry and are based on NEC3, NEC4 and FIDIC standards. You must decide if these standard deployments with a little modification will meet your requirements for a Project Controls Solution. If you think you require more flexibility then there are alternatives that enable Hyde Park Solutions to configure and modify one of these standard solutions to meet your organisation’s specific requirement.
Complex and Non-Standards Project Controls Processes
As you would expect from Oracle Primavera, they have a solution that enables a certified and specialised partner such as Hyde Park Solutions to configure, and adapt the out of the box solution for NEC3, NEC4 or FIDIC to your exact requirements. Naturally if neither these templates solutions work for you we have expertise and experience to develop and deploy a completely tailored solution. See our customer stories for examples.
Having difficulty working out what software you need? Let Hyde Park Solutions help you….
Standard Processes – limited changes required
If you’re happy to go with the out of the box Oracle Primavera solution for NEC3, NEC4 or FIDIC with limited changes and limited integrations then you will most likely be looking at
- Primavera Cloud Schedule and Aconex for a Cloud Solution
If you require a more bespoke and tailored solution for Project Controls with integrations to other organisational systems then you are more likely to go with
- Primavera EPPM and Unifier
There is a third option which is the hybrid which combines an On-premise use of Project Management solutions and a cloud deployment for Contract, Change Cost and Collaboration which would have you considering these tools
- Primavera EPPM On-Premise and Aconex in the Oracle Cloud
If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to contact your Hyde Park Solutions Oracle Product Specialist or email email@example.com.