How To Install Primavera P6 – Full Guide
- December 13, 2015
- Posted by: Hyde Park
- Categories: Oracle Software, Solutions, Training
How to Install Primavera P6 (Standalone)
Installing Primavera P6 doesn’t have to be complicated. In this short installation guide we’ve compiled Oracle’s guidance on the steps required to get your copy of Oracle Primavera P6 installed and ready to use.
First of all, you should know the below:
P6 Professional Standalone makes use of a P6 Pro Standalone database connection running on a SQlite database. Running P6 Professional Standalone supports all of the Project Management functionality of P6 Professional, excluding the below:
– Job Services – Jobs cannot be scheduled. However, the user can use the Windows scheduler to invoke the command-line interface to import, export, and run batch reports.
– Risk Analysis
– Any existing Java-based integration components developed by the customer using the P6 Remote Integration API (RMI) is not supported with a SQLite database.
– Advanced XML import options
A standalone installation is often used by a single user – the admin superuser, therefore, any features intended to be used as part of a network will not be accessible.
Before beginning installation, take note of the following:
– You must have full administrative rights to the computer on which you are installing P6 Professional.
– Download and extract (unzip) the software to a folder on the local hard drive, such as C:\T emp.
– Avoid downloading the software to a location too deep within the Windows folder structure. It can limit the file name to 256 characters.
– Even though you are running P6 Professional as a standalone, a network interface card or modem must be installed and TCP/IP networking software must be running on the computer.
– Ensure anti-virus software, anti-spyware software, security software and/or any firewalls are not enabled as they may block programs, protocols, or ports necessary for database creation.
– Ensure the UAC (User Account Control) is not enabled as it may block the installation and creation of the database.
The installation itself can be done in as little as an hour. Enlisting the assistance of your IT department or experienced end user during installation will allow you to mitigate any possible issues you encounter.
The standalone installation will install the database server, database, and desktop client onto your computer.
Run the installation wizard. When asked whether to proceed with the ‘Typical’, or ‘advanced option’, note the below:
Typical: Installs version of P6 Professional appropriate for your operating system. (32 vs 64-bit OS). Note, Java Runtime Environment is not installed with this option.
Advanced: Allows you to control installation of specific P6 components. Allows you to install 32-bit version onto 64-bit operating system. Allows you to install both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of P6 Professional onto a 64-bit operating system.
- Download and extract the media zip file locally to your system.
- In the extracted media zip file, in the Client_Applications folder, double-clicking setup.exe will launch the installation wizard.
- Select ‘Typical’.
- Click Ok.
- Click Install.
When P6 Professional is installed, the Next Steps window appears.
- Click OK to automatically run Database Configuration immediately after installation.
How to run Database Configuration
To run Database Configuration after installation, complete the following steps:
- On the Select Driver Type dialog box, in the P6 Professional driver type field, select P6 Pro Standalone (SQLite).
- Click Next.
- Select Add a new standalone database and connection.
- Click Next.
- In the Enter new password field and the Confirm new password field, enter a password for the admin user.
- Click Next.
- Select Load sample data if you want to install sample projects.
- Click Next.
- When the Connection Successful message displays, click Finish to exit Database Configuration.
After installing P6 Professional, you must set the industry type for the software. The industry type determines the terminology and default calculation settings that display in P6 Professional.
To set the industry type, complete the following steps:
- Log in to P6 Professional.
- Choose Admin, Admin Preferences.
- Click the Industry tab.
- Select the option that most closely aligns with your industry.
For any issues regarding the installation of any Oracle Primavera product, our team of experts are on hand to provide easy to follow guidance and support – simply contact us.